WHAT causes pigmentation and how do we treat them with simple yet effective skin care in Sunny Singapore?
In this sunny island, we are especially susceptible to over exposure to the sun from a tender age. In it quite difficult to convince our young ones to put on sunblock when they go swimming or play games.
Of course, no one would agree to it (including ourselves) as the effects of sun damage will only be apparent after 5 -10 years. And once pigmentation becomes visible, the skin cells have been reactive and will be prone to more pigmentation.
Let’s start with understanding how skin reacts with sun exposure.
Our skin is made of 3 main layers. Epidermis, Dermis and Hypodermis.
At the base of the epidermis, melanocytes resembling star shaped cells are insterpersed amongst keratinocytes.
When UV rays trigger the formation of melanin in the melanocytes, it gets transported as melanosomes through its dendrites to the keratinocytes (nearer to the skin surface) to protect our DNA from being destroyed by the sun.
Let’s look at a video on what gives us our skin color (pigments).
HOW do we prevent or treat pigmentation?
- Prevention of pigmentation is better than cure. Avoid sun exposure from 10am to 4pm.
- Start sunscreen as part of pigmentation treatment skincare routine very early in life.
- Wear caps, hats, masks, long suits (for golfers, sea sports’ lovers, tennis players).
- Use Vitamin C rich products only at night as it is photosensitive and will attract more UV to the skin
- If you were to consider light treatment, please avoid sun exposure for at least 1 month as the epidermal layer is very thin.
- Do not start any laser or chemical peel treatments unless there is a proper program on how to manage the skin with proper care. It may lead to hyper pigmentation and worse still hypo pigmentation.
- To lighten existing pigmentation, suggest using Filorga Pigment Perfect Face Serum and Filorga Pigment White Cream.
The Fliorga pigmentation treatment skincare series is a multi action with 3 functions.
- Dark spot correction: Minerals act to reduce pigmentation and anti-oxidant acts to prevent them from reappearing.
- Color control uniformity: Peptide acts to remove yellow from the complexion. While exfoliating acid removes grey, and vitamin B3 reduces redness thanks to its calming effect
- Light revealer: Soothing vitamin C in combination with hydrating polysaccharide
Well, after having understood why skin pigmentation happens and what Filorga (a leading medispa company) is trying to solve this chronic problem, should we feel comforted and start going out in the sun?
The answer is NO. It is very important to understand that once the cells are prone to pigmentation, it will tend to recur again. Even if some of us subject ourselves to acid peel, micro-dermasion treatment or light therapy eg., laser treatment to reduce pigmentation.
All 3 Sunblocks are SPF50, Maria Galland is creamier Guinot has brightener and Jyunka has lifting effect.
Do continue to look out for our Skin Care Tips in Singapore.