In recent weeks, if you have observed a big change in your pal’s face, it is very likely she is using a high efficacy product like Vitamin A (aka Retinol), Vitamin C or Hyaluronic Acid or a combination of these products.
Before you jump into the bandwagon of Retinol, it is important to have the knowledge of Vitamin A pros and cons and How to counter Retinol side effects? As it takes up to 6 weeks for the skin to be climatized to Retinol, it is important to look out to some of these reactions including flaky peeling skin, dry patchiness, redness and uneven skintone.
Many of you asked ‘Are Retinol, Retinoic Acid or Retin A the same?‘ First let’s get some facts right. Retinyl ester (Retinalaldehyde), Retinol, Retinal and Retinoic Acid are all Vitamin A related. They are just derivatives depending at which stage of the metabolism it is at. Retinyl ester having the least efficacy compared to Retinoic Acid. However, the skin has the highest tolerance towards it.
Retinyl ester (Retinaldehyde) -> Retinol -> Retinal -> Retinoic acid
Whilst Retinol could cause short term discomfort, its advantage far weighs the sensitivity it may cause initially.
Retinol is the new gold class of skincare as it helps to boost skin renewal including collagen production, minimize pores, reduce wrinkles and reduce hyperpigmentation especially hormonal pigmentation.
To help the skin counter the side effects of Retinol, we would like to suggest
- Apply thinly the lowest concentration of Retinol on alternate nights to help the skin get used to it
- Always rub the products between your fingers before applying on the face to ensure evenness
- In the day, use hydrating serum/cream and finish off with SPF50 sun protection skincare
- On alternate nights, use a sensitive serum/cream to calm the sensitive skin whilst the effect of Retinol is still taking effect. On certain nights, use essential oil youth elixir to help protect the skin barrier.
- Always apply Retinol only at night as they are photosensitive
- Do not layer Retinol with Vitamin C or Hyaluronic Acid as itself is of high efficacy which stimulate the skin regeneration.
- Advise to use gentle exfoliating mask instead of chemical peel or granular scrub.
Dr Babor Retinew A16 Serum and Filorga Skin Perfusion Re Time are 2 serums with Vitamin A active ingredients without the usual side effects.