Just like you, am often confused by many of the terminology in the anti aging skin care industry. Not until I was a certified beautician, I became aware of the difference between firming cream vs anti wrinkle cream.
It is important to know the difference to increase the effectiveness of our daily skin care routine at home. From the choice of skincare to the way we should apply them.
- Firstly, let’s learn how to identify the difference.
- Skin lacking in firmness:
Look: Appearance of a ‘flat face’ with less prominent apple cheek as skin is not as firm.
Feel: Skin feels not as ‘bouncy’ or firm.
- Skin with wrinkles:
Look: Appearance of frown lines, crows’s feet around the eyes and sometimes some fine lines on the cheeks/chin.
Feel: Skin feels dry and thin.
2. Next, let’s understand what lead to these problems.
If you pull your skin and it quickly pops back into place, then it’s very elastic. If you pull your skin and it very slowly sinks back down then it’s not as elastic. Elasticity is therefore a relative term.
One of the microscopic substances that makes up your skin is known as collagen. Collagen is nothing more than a protein that is twisted in a helical shape; like a DNA molecule. However, collagen has three strands instead of two. Collagen’s shape helps to keep your skin strong and firm and confers some elastic properties as well.
While collagen does have elastic properties, there is a protein in your skin that is more involved in the elasticity of it: this protein is called elastin. Elastin allows your skin to pop back into place after some kind of force depresses it or pulls it out of position; like your aunt’s fingers pinching your cheek.
3. What skincare practice could be adopt to prevent and reverse them more naturally?
- Cleanser: Maria Galland Cleansing Milk helps to keep the face cleansed without being dehydrated
- Toner: Guinot Hydrating Toner to keep the pores clean and fine.
- Serum: Filorga Meso+ or Filorga Time Zero Serum to be applied just on the frown lines or where fine lines are
- Moisturizer: Guinot Liftosome helps to keep your skin firm and radiant